Roclincourt / Pas-de-Calais

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Another Short Day

Mercredi=Favorite day of the school week.

My day started off at 9h00 with math. It wasn't too overly terrible today. Mainly, we went over the test that most of the students took two Saturdays ago (in the Devoirs class) and then went on the computer and 'tested' formulas in Excel. I didn't really know what I was doing, but Sabrina helped me figure it out.

After class, I hung out in the courtyard with a bunch of people from my class for a while before going to theatre with Alice and Wendie. In class, I noticed the girl who had yelled "Hey American Girl" across the cafeteria at me yesterday. Ha ha! I think I forgot to mention that. It kind of surprised me because I had no idea who she was. Today I learned that her name is Claire, and she's in her Terminale year.

We had a speaker from the 'spectacle' showing at the Arras Theatre talk for about half the class. I didn't comprehend much, except a couple words here and there. After he was finished, my teacher told him that I was an American girl learning French (i don't know why), and he looked at me and went "You're Welcome!" Ha ha ha! I really don't know what he was trying to say, so I just smiled at him and nodded.

I spent the second half of class looking through scene books with Alice, trying to find something easy for 2 people. That was not an easy task, but eventually we found something I think I can do. The two of us went into the back section of the room and read through it a couple times before class ended.

When I got home from school, there was a package waiting for me on the table from my family. It contained some Latin notes and a book (thankkk god!), my calculator, and then Valentine's Day candy and stuff! I shared the food with my family, and took the rest to my room. Thanks, you guys! I'm really in need of Latin resources. I still have that translation to do, and that book will hopefully have at least a few words in the glossary.

For lunch we had salad, turkey in some kind of sauce, rice, green beans, and of course, bread. For dessert, I ate a pistacchio & chocolate ice cream cone! It was really good!! Funny story, though. As I was eating it, a big piece of chocolate fell down my shirt and holyy crap was it cold and uncomfortable! I didn't want to reach down and wipe it out in front of them, though, so I had to sit there and let it melt into my shirt. Ickk. Now my white shirt is all full of chocolate and I'm out of tide-to-go! :/

This afternoon, I went with Pierre on a walk through the village. This time I brough my camera with, so I took plenty of pictures to share with all of you. I'm going to put them up over the vacation, for real this time. I'll have plenty of time the first couple days, so I'll have Pierre help me, if I have to.

Then we drank hot chocolate and watched another one of Pierre's dance performances on DVD. About a half hour into it, though, he had to leave for something. I don't remember what it was. I do know that after that, I have to go to MUSIC again! Ahhh I suckk at flute! It's kind of embarrassing being the oldest person in the flute section and being the worst player! Ha ha! Thankfully it is only once a week, and after this week, I get a 2 week break! Pierre also has dance tonight, and my host mom has 2 meetings. Whewww! What a day!

A couple more slightly interesting facts about life here in France that I thought of today:
-People park on the sidewalk. Sometimes they pull all the way onto it, while other times they're still half on the road. It's kind of annoying when you're actually trying to walk on the sidewalk.
-At school, we sit outside of the classroom in the hallways until the teacher arrives to open the door. It's like this between every class, not just at the beginning of the day.

Well I will update again tomorrow!
Bon journée!
-Miranda(:

EDIT: Because I'm now home alone, and don't really know what else to do, I'm going to update you on my evening.

Shortly after I got done posting this entry earlier, Pierre came home and the two of us went to Pierre Antoine's house for a game of Scrabble and a snack! It was really fun! Scrabble was a little more difficult in French, but I've decided it's an extremely effective game for learning vocabulary. My most impressive word was probably "moyen," but I learned other words from what the Pierres laid down. I had a really good time.

Unfortunately, that was short lived because I had to leave for music. Tonight at music, though, I played a lot better as well. I remembered to remove the cleaning cloth from the middle joint when putting it together, and was actually able to play the songs decently. I learned everyone's name, although I honestly don't remember them all. I know the girl to my left's name is Claire, and the girl on my right's name is Manon. They are both 12, although Manon looks like she's about 10. Seriously, when she stood up next to me, she didn't even quite come up to my shoulder!

Now Pierre is at dance and my mom is at a meeting. I've got about an hour to do whatever. I remembered one other interesting fact for you on the way home from music! There are 2 different colored license plates: yellow and white. I don't really remember what the significance is, but it has something to do with the date they were issued, I think. I dunno, I just kind of thought that was different. gah! J'ai faim! I think I might go up to my room and snack on some Oreos for a little while, then maybe read my French book or something and expand my vocabulary a bit. I don't really have anything else to say anyway.

Have a good rest of your day :)

CHELSEA: I'll be expecting that in about a week then! :) Hahaha, no, I'm not wearing them right today. I did the other day, though!

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. -Charlie Brown

1 comment:

  1. From all your posts it seems it seems you get to eat a lot of nummy sweets! My mom just sent out your kissogram, sorry about that lol. Are you wearing your boots!?!?!

    ReplyDelete