Roclincourt / Pas-de-Calais

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Surprise!

I think there was a little misunderstanding, haha, but i will get to that later.

Yesterday I found out that Parcours is a prep class for the big French test called the "Bac." Half of it is taken at the end of the "Premiere" year (mine) and the other half is taken after the "Terminale" year. I am going to attempt to take it, so therefore I'm in this prep class. It's definitely not an easy thing, though! I got in there and was handed a --no joke-- TWENTY SEVEN PAGE STORY (IN FRENCH) to read!!! Holyyy crap was that a shocker! The pages were photocopied, so there were two pages to a sheet of paper, but still, it was verrrrry long. I only finished about 15 pages by the time the rest of the class had finished the story, but surprisingly I comprehened about 65 percent of what I read!!!! That made me feel pretty good! The girl next to me, named Sabrina, wrote out some notes in English for me, too. I had comprehended most of what she wrote, so I figure I did a pretty good job, although I read VERYY slowly. Ha ha.

After that we had a break, and I talked to a few of the other students. They are (almost) all so niceee! --and patient with my French! Some of them even speak English to me so that I understand. When the break was over, we went back into the room and discussed the story. Then, VOILA! Another story to read! This one was muchh shorter (only about 8 pages photocopied) but we had to read it ALOUDDDD! I spent so much time freaking out about having to read and trying to keep up with the speed of the student reading that I didn't coprehend a thing. Haha. I'm not too worried, though. I dont think it is too important.

Today, I didn't have to go to the "Devoirs" class in the morning, so I slept in until about 10:00. I was soooo tired! Speaking and listening to French all the time is seriously REALLY tiring! It takes a lott of energy to focus on what people are saying all day long. After I got ready, my host mom took Pierre and I to the store and bought both of us cell phones. She told me she would pay for my phone because when I leave, she wants it back, so I said okay to that. I, however, am paying for the card and the time that goes on it, so that makes me feel a little better. And to answer all of your questions, NO, my phone cannot call or text you in the States, so you don't need to ask. It is simply for me to keep in touch with my friends and host famly while I'm out.

Once we returned from the store, we ate lunch. Then I watched some of the Titanic in French with Pierre. Half way through, at about 3, the guy from the other day, along with two others showed up. MY host mom told me to go with them and help them and she would come later. I was thouroughly (sp?) confused! Help them with what? Go where? Was this the "date" I was asked to go on? Ha ha, evidently so. The four of us went to the Mairie and set up tables and chairs. I was SOOOOO confused! You have noo idea! I didn't know what the hell was going on! Lol! Then they told me we were going to get drinks, so I assumed that meant at a café or something--WRONG AGAIN! We went to the grocery store and bought orange juice, Coke, apple juice, water, and plastic cups. 'Okay, seriously. What is this all for?' I thought. I actually almost started laughing at how confused I was. Anyway, we arrived back at the Mairie and talked for a while. Another girl showed up. Then they stood at the front and practiced reciting something and set up a computer and projector. I finally asked what was going on, and one of them explained to me that they were having a meeting, but that's all I caught.

A little while later, more people showed up. I figured out that these four people (plus myself, now) were a committee of people who were working on designing the town's Giant for the anual festival of giants. The other day I think I was invited to come to this meeting with that guy and be a part of the committee. ha ha ha! What a misunderstanding that was! I obviously missed an important part of that conversation!

After everyone had arrived (about 10 people), the committee stood in the front (except me) and spoke about their plans and the cost and everything. There was so much going on that I didn't catch much, but it sounds pretty interesting. Afterwards everyone had drinks (the ones we bought) and talked. I met some really interesting people, including this one guy who kind of resembles Theodore Roesevelt (i think... i knoww he reminded me of one of the presidents, but i can't put my finger on who exactly...)

Now I recently ate dinner, and ha ha! Another blooper! I was served soup in a mug, so i didn't know if i was supposed to drink it or use a spoon. There was a spoon sitting on the table that was kind of large, but I assumed it was for me to eat my soup. Nope! It was the serving spoon for the lasagna that my host mom was getting out of the oven. She noticed I had taken the spoon and then got out another. I was slightly embarrassed. ha ha! Oh well, she didn't say anything.

In a few minutes, some of the members of the "committee" are taking me out. I don't know exactly where or what we're doing, but they all talked to my host mom about it and she was okay with everything, so it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I'll write about all that tomorrow. And sorry, note Quote to end with today, as I have to go!
Byeee!
-Miranda

2 comments:

  1. school seems to be going pretty good,
    the students sound nice too,
    making any friends?


    lol about the misunderstanding too!
    i'm sure you'll get asked out though too!
    ;) lol



    haha about the spoonn!!




    have fun!
    miss youu!
    (: rica

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i love the spoon story. i hate awkward situations like that xD

    ReplyDelete