Roclincourt / Pas-de-Calais

Monday, February 2, 2009

I will definitely get plenty of Internet time...

My host mom keeps insisting that I check my email and send my parents messages. Haha.

Yesterday after I got off of here, the three of us ate lunch, which was much shorter than I had expected (only about an hour) and then I showed them my photo album of Fargo. They were astounded by how much snow we had. Everyone was worried about me being cold, and it was only about 30 degrees outside. lol! I tried to explain that it stayed below freezing throughout the winter in Fargo, but don't think they fully understood me...

At 3:00, Pierre-Alexandre had to go to his party, so I went along for the ride. I decided that I really don't like riding in stick shift vehicles. They're very jerky and I wouldn't be surprised if I got motion sick on a long trip. Fortunately, the destination wasn't too far away. Madame Montel and I dropped him off and then went to the Roclincourt Party Hall (i think that's how it translates..?) and played "Loto" or Bingo! That was quite the numbers review! Mm Montel helped me some, but I surprisingly did a decent job. We didn't win, though. I met a couple other people Pierre-Alexandre's age there. Two guys named Antoine and Pierre-Antoine (i think) and a girl (WHO KNOWS ENGLISH...or at least a little) named Elise. Elise invited me to a party next Saturday. She goes to school in Lille, but she comes back to Roclincourt every weekend. I'm not really sure what a French party consists of, but if I can go, I will. It'll be a good way to meet people and jump start my social life.

At about 5:00, we picked up Pierre-Alexandre and returned to the house. Mm Montel gave me some cookies and hot chocolate for a snack, and then she insisted I get back on the computer and check my email again. I did, but no one had responded, so I just kinda surfed around until Simon (one of my older host brothers) came over with his family. He is married and has two kids. Lola is three (and very shy) and Marius is 8 months old. I talked to his wife for a while and showed her my photo album. She was really nice. I don't remember her name though. :/

They left a little while later, and then we ate dinner, I took a shower, and went to bed. Today I was supposed to go to the school around 2, but I think it snowed too much or something? and now I am just going tomorrow morning. I also start class tomorrow, and that will be interesting. I've decided that my language skills suck. They're absolutely horrible. At first I thought I was alright, but as the day went on, it just got harder and harder to understand. It's also really tiring! I can only focus on what someone is saying for a few minutes before I fall behind and then lose focus on the conversation altogether. This morning my host brother was reading to me about the musical, Le Roi Soleil, and I think I may have comprehended a total of one or two paragraphs. It really is a lot harder than you thinkk.

Well anyway, we recently had lunch and Marie-Françoise just left to go back to work at the Mairie, i think? Pierre-Alexandre is in the other room watching TV and wants to go on a walk through the town once I'm done with my emailing. I probably shouldn't keep him waiting too much longer, so I'm going to get off.

Miss youu!
-Miranda


Oh and:
Chelsea- the time here is ahead 7 hours there.
Mom- there's a translator on the lefthand side of the window... and if that isn't working, you have Bryce.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information about the translator as Bryce seems to think I will need it. I am at home today with Zach as he has a headache so I kept him home. Enjoy your walk because here it
    -15F which I am sure is much colder than there. How much snow did they get for you to have school cancelled?
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if school was really cancelled... i didn't really understand the whole deal, but there is only like an inch or so out there. You can see the ground sticking up in some places, so it isn't that bad. And the temperature is right around freezing. Maybe like 30 degrees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they have Ground Hogs day there today for you or not? Let us know if he sees his shadow.
    Miss you,
    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't enjoy counting ahead 7 hours. If its 10:00 here its 5:00 there is that how that works? I could talk to you everyday and yes I am in school and yes I am in class..but its just Management. I think I'm gonna write about how crappy management is in management class..yep OMG by the way I sent you a letter today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. are you ever going to get facebook or myspace?

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg i miss you sooooooooooo much,
    i just read alll of your posts!!!
    you're probably sleeping now considering its like one in the morning there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    so sing it loud was fun, oh and i got you 2 things there!!! (you're going to love me!) how's france though? how about school? is it going to be hard? communication getting any better?
    sorry for so many questions, i just want to know how everything is?
    tell me everything you haven't already posted on here.
    (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zach: No, as far as i can tell they do not have ground hog's day.. or at least i haven't heard anything about it.
    Chelsea: Yeah, that's how it works, but you don' necessarily have to be on at the same time as me to leave a comment.. I'll just reply whenever I get on. And I can go on myspace, but the filter on this computer blocks facebook. :/
    Rica: Yayyy Sing It Loud! :D France is good, I haven't started school, but it will probably be hard... I can't imagine school in a foreign language being easy... communication is decent, but not really wonderful. I've posted pretty much everything up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well of course i can leave comments whenever I want but talking to you ..computer to cumputer is better than waiting. oh god i hate myspace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have cd players there right ;)
    that's good, oh i see, i read yer latest blog, it's like she doesn't want you to start school!! jk lol. yeah, true about school. you'll get the communication thing down. i know it.

    haha mr. johnson and i were talking about your blog today!
    i suggested he get one and post all his blogs; he asked if he had to have one to comment you and i told him no, but he said he's gonna check this out! lol.


    well the newest sudian comes out friday too i heard, so i'll get you one of those, oh and i'm glad you like the orange juice!!! lol oh oh oh, we did a grocery lecon in french, get fast food for me at the grocery store there! jk lol though right!!

    ReplyDelete