Roclincourt / Pas-de-Calais

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I think I have a date?

Hahahaha, seriously! We're going to keep this moving chronologically though, so I'll get to that later.

After I left off yesterday, I went upstairs to the bookshelf and found some TinTin and Asterix. I only made it about to page 10 of the Asterix one though, before I lost track of what was going on. It kind of reminded me of reading The Illiad for English last year! Except to be honest, I think I got more out of the Asterix comic book... :)

My host mom came home around noon for lunch. Then the two of us went out grocery shopping. I felt kind of guilty, because she bought a bunchhh of things I don't think she normally would have. She got me cheeseburgers, ketchup, pizza, fries, tator tots, and two different kinds of donuts. I will have to admit I was pretty excited to have those again. Especially the ketchup! :P

She went back to work and I watched some TV. At 2:00, Pierre Alexandre came home and watched TV with me. We sat there for most of the rest of the afternoon. I have no idea what the shows were, or what they were about, but I think a lot of them were American, because they lip movements were not in sync with the voices. We each had a cup of hot chocolate and a chocolate frosted donut at about 5. OOOOOOOOOOH MY GOD ARE THEIR CHOCOLATE FROSTED DONUTS GOOD. You have noooo idea. Seriously. I could have easily eaten all 8 of them right then and there. I kept to one, though, for the time being. Ha ha.

Around 6:00 or so, my host mom returned. She saw us sitting in front of the TV (at this point watching cartoons) and got out a 200 piece Snoopy puzzle for me to do. She then told me that she was going to go out with a friend and one of the guys I met at Loto was coming over to watch Pierre and I. So, when 7:00 came around, she left with her friend and Pierre Antoine came over. I was still working on that puzzle, and Pierre Alexandre was drawing Power Rangers on a piece of paper, so Pierre Antoine helped me with my puzzle. I think there were only about 190 of the 200 pieces there. ha ha. We had like 12 spots left and only 2 pieces that we couldn't get to fit in anywhere, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Afterwards, we went into the kitchen and made cheeseburgers (in the microwave!) and tator tots. The only thing that could have completed that meal for me as an American, would have been a nice big glass of milk. And I mean real American, pasturized skim milk, not the thick warm stuff over here. I have even taken to eating my cereal dry.

Anyway, as we were finishing dinner, Mme Montel came home. She showed me a video info sheet for the movie FARGO! Ha ha ha! She asked me if this was the same as where I live, and I said oui. I thought that was pretty funny. She then asked me if I had shown Pierre Antoine my photo album of Fargo and my friends & family yet. When I said no, she insisted I do so. Pierre Antoine, Pierre Alexandre, and I went into the living room and I pulled out my stuff. I swear to you, I am almost pro at talking about Fargo. Every time it gets easier and I explain things with more and more detail. I even shocked myself last night at how easily everything came out. Once I had finished with my photo album, Mme Montel picked up my book I brought of Obama, and Pierre Antoine starts shouting "Yes we can! Yes we can!" Ha ha! I think every French person must know that phrase. I've heard quite a few people say that at the mention of Obama.

Okay, so here is the interesting (and somewhat confusing) part. 9:30 rolls around and Pierre Antoine decides it's time to go home. He goes to the door and begins to get his coat and scarf on, and then turns and babbles some things in French to my host mom. She shakes her head at first and then he says something else and Pierre Alexandre asks if he can go too. My host mom laughs a little and then tells him no. They all turn to me and my host mom explains that Pierre Antoine is going to Arras (the big town next to the town I'm in) on Saturday evening. She told me something about going for coffee at 5:00, I think, and then waited for a response from me. I replied with the usually nod and "Oui" and then everyone was all excited. I really didn't know what I had conscented to, but replaying the situation in my head a few times, I think I agreed to go into town for coffee (or hot chocolate, hopefully) with Pierre Antoine Saturday night. I'm just a little surprised that it only took me three DAYS to get a date here, and I've been in the states for 17 yearss with almost no luck. And I don't even have the luxury of extensive communication skills here! Haha. Sooo anyway, we'll see how that goes. I don't really know much more about this guy than his name, but he seems nice, and my host mom seems to like him, so we'll give it a go. & I promise I will be careful and stay safe and all that stuff, Dad, don't worry. ;)

Today I have that meeting with the school at 3:00. I'm a little anxious to see what classes I'll be enrolled in--hopefully not Phy Ed, but I've already been told it'll probably be on my schedule >:/ I'll be sure and let you all know when I find out, though!

A bientot!
-Miranda

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room. -African Proverb

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations, have a great time and don't stay out too late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How old is this kid? Show me a picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm with chelsea,
    (:










    sounds like you're having a good time though!!!
    (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to have an easier time getting a date there then here.lol so take advantage of it when you're there. Dad can't stop you!
    Zach P.S. still missing you!!!

    PSS mom didn't send the message earlier it was dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA i love your family's comments!
    and YAY for cute french boys!!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. nottt overly cute,
    but oh well i suppose..
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah lol
    (kind of cute french boy) > (hot american boy)

    ReplyDelete
  8. is that a less than or greater than sign? i can never get them straight.. lol

    ReplyDelete