Roclincourt / Pas-de-Calais

Sunday, May 17, 2009

56 Days

Today, a little after 11:30, we left for my host mom's brother, Jean-Paul's, house in St. Omer. It was about a 45 minute drive. When we got there, I met him and his wife (forgot her name), and then another lady (I'm assuming this is his wife's sister) and her 20 year old daughter, Anne, arrived from Calais. We all ate lunch together and talked and then looked at pictures of the States. Jean-Paul and his wife have a son and daughter in law who live in Miami with their kids. They come to France often and will actually be flying in on Thursday, so my host mom said we're going to try and see them. After that, went on a walk around town. We passed the cathedral and went through the city park and it was really pretty. It rained on us a little, but we didn't get that wet. When we got back from our walk, we were offered a drink and they had Dr. Pepper! They brought it with them from the US when they went to Florida, and still had a few cans, so I took one! They don't have Dr. Pepper in France. It's just Coke, Pepsi, Orange and Yellow Fanta, Sprite, and occasionally Cherry Coke. There is a French drink called Orangina which has really grown on me. It's like a soda orange juice with little bits of pulp and everything. I didn't like it the first time I had it, but now I'm quite a fan. After our drinks, we left for Roclincourt at around 5:30.

My host family is so interesting. My host mom has a gay brother who is a playwright and lives in Paris with his boyfriend and has a production opening up in Canada in September. Then there is Jean-Paul who is a professional artist and has expoditions and artwork all over his house. It's really good stuff, too. His website is http://www.tartar.fr/ if you wanna check it out. My host mom herself is the mayor of the town I live in. Then I have a cousin who is schizophrenic and my adopted host brother has down syndrom. My older host brother has twins and so does Jean-Paul's son. And to top it off, we have a cat with three legs. I seriously don't think I could have landed in a more diverse family. It's really neat. I'm not saying my family at home is boring, but we don't have quite the same setup as I do here.

I have got reviewing to do before the Bac Oral, so I'm going to get off and do that.
à demain!
<3Miranda

1 comment: